Remember me

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Author Text

[Private RP] Why me?
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 21:33 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus stared long and hard, his eyes azure eyes running left to right and then darting around. He was standing before a shelf in the middle of the local drugstore, looking at cold medicine. "Stupid weak #&% humans," he grumbled, spotting one he thought might be good, plucking it off the shelf before setting it back down and grabbing another.

After nearly half an hour, and a consultation with the pharmacist and an awkward situation about carrying around his own x-cell with which to pay for the medicine, he stepped back out into the streets which were teeming with people. Booths were set up along the sidewalks, performers pressed into little spaces between the buildings with crowds around them. The Neo Carnival had spread in it's own way across the city of Darkell, with humans and RAIN alike setting up their own little entertainment hoping to earn some Treize for their talents.

Icarus was annoyed. Kazuya had planned to do some sort of performance too, since they were so low on money, but the man had gotten sick after his night out with Fraze and Dezz, and then the unplanned encounter with Hex and Susanna. If only he'd been more adamant about staying home that night, his user wouldn't have a high fever right now.

he looked down at the bag in his hands, wondering if RAIN were able to get illnesses too. Seeing how weak it made Kazuya, worried Icarus. The human was the first to treat him like something special, not a defunct bunch of machines-- Icarus' thought process was cut off as a body rammed into him--or maybe he rammed into it? Either way, they were both on the ground, the contents of the box rolling across the sidewalk.

"Watch where you're going!" Icarus snarled, "Stupid clumsy weak #&% humans," he added under his breath, already pulling himself to his feet. He wanted to get back to Kazuya as soon as possible, but he knew his user would be irritated if he didn't at least help the girl pick up her stuff. And by pick up, that meant kick some of her stray stuff back in her direction or toss it hastily back into the box before turning to leave.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2012, 21:54 

Lvl 1
She had everything she could ever dream of! At least, that was until she had looked inside to notice an empty pantry. Edmund had found their address in the X-cell as soon as they got off the boat. It had been the only time they had been apart since he had fallen out of the device. Their home had been everything she could of imagined. It was a small little apartment with a nice kitchen and living area. Everything was a bare canvas for her to work with. She had managed to find some simple items to make the apartment her own over the week she had been there. Thought could do with a lot more personalization.

She had been spending her mornings searching the carnival for items for her house. It wasn't like she had much to spend. In fact, she had very little money at all. She wanted to open an antique and repair shop at one point. Hopefully one day she could afford it, if things worked out right. Up until this point she had been spending her evenings at the carnival trying various kinds of food. That had pretty much filled her up every now. She still needed to go shopping.

It was today that she had found time to go grocery shopping. After the last few days of constant work and eating out, she was hungry for a home cooked meal. Instructing Edmund to finish cleaning the back part of their shop (which also doubled as a nice entrance into their garden and apartment) she left to go buy some vegetables and grain.

It had taken a small journey before she discovered a booth with just about everything she needed. Kennedy soon found that her load was much more than she could carry in any bag so the booth owner offered her a box. Praising the woman for her grace she turned and left (without forgetting to pay the woman, like she had another man earlier in the week). She was just tired enough to do it again, too.

She had only made it a little ways down the street before she found herself distracted by a performer and tripping into another person. Fruits and vegetables went everywhere as the box fell over sideways onto the busy street. Thankfully many of the people went around the area of the accident but she still rushed to pick them up. "I am so, so sor-" she started, only to be interrupted by the stranger.

"Watch where you're going!" Icarus snarled, "Stupid clumsy weak #&% humans,"

Taken aback by the snide comment at first she stood up, her arms bulging with fresh produce and her casual smile curling into a frown. "How dare you! I might have been a little clumsy but you have no right insulting me like that!" she snapped, setting the items back in the box. "Why don't you give someone the chance to reply before snapping their head off and insulting them." She moved around to snatch up the tomatoes and onions he had kicked before dropping them onto everything else.

"I'm sorry for what I did Mister, but you could be a little more considerate then just kicking around fresh food." Kennedy straightened herself up before eying the ground for any more possible victims of her clumsiness. A few people were eying her wearily for her outburst but she smiled and waved them off before returning to her box. Whoever this RAIN belonged to must have a temper to keep him in his place or at least the patience to deal with it. Patience was something Kennedy lacked after six days of cleaning and building.

Image Image

Kennedy : Coral || Edmund : #66CDAA

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 00:27 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus looked over his shoulder at the girl with scathing hatred, "Don't bother me, my user need this medicine," he hissed, turning away again, intent on leaving her to pick up her food. He paused though, turning back only slightly, "Sorry for damaging your food," he added. They were low on food, he understood that it was important, even if he didn't eat.

Icarus looked at her a moment longer and then turned, picking up the fruits more gently, placing them into the box, "Trace would be mad if I didn't help you at least this much." He seemed to tinge red a bit, "B-But watch it next time!" he added hastily, reverting back to his rude self. At that, he turned and left her with her box in her arms. not takign a second glance back at her, whether she complained or not.

He headed through the fairgrounds, weaving through crowds of people to head back to his apartment, it wasn't until he was at the front door to the building that he looked back to see the girl right behind him. It didn't even occur to him that they lived in the same building, and thus he was grumpy again. "Why are you following me? Think my user is going to make me apologise or something? He won't, and he can't. I have free will," he growled, jabbing the up button on the elevator. "Run along home and leave me alone, I don't need a kid bothering him while he's so sick," he added, stepping into the lift as it opened.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 10:35 

Lvl 1
She would have done anything not to follow this particular RAIN. He did not seem all that bad. In fact, he seemed normal when he was trying to act plesant. Otherwise, he sounded like he would be a force to reckon with any day of the week. With a sigh she stepped into the lift and pressed the button for own floor, number 15. "I happen to live in this building too," she paused, "It seems that most of us arriving to the island do."

Setting the box down to give her shoulders a wrest she leaned carefully back against the railing. "If your USER is sick he might need more than medicine. I can whip up a quick soup and fix if for him to help out-" she paused, "do you think that would help?"

Kennedy had some talent at making food. Her food was beyond edible but saying it was gourmet was giving her too much credit. She eyed the contents of her box and came up with a few different soups she could make. "There's tomatoe, potatoe, onion- which I wouldn't suggest- and beef." she listed off the contents and counted them on her fingers to keep her on track.

As the elevator slowed and the door opened she smiled at the RAIN, "you actually sound like a plesant gentleman when you are cordial." Kneeling down she lifted back up the box, quickly pushed a lock of hair out of her eyes and turned to leave. She was a few steps out before she turned back to the elevator, "What's your apartment number?! I'll have this whipped up in a giffy!"

Image Image

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 20:13 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus turned red, crossing his arms and turning his gaze upwards to the lift's front corner as he leaned against the back wall, "Trace doesn't like accepting help from people, and neither do I since we can't repay you," he explained, confused that she would still offer help even after he was rude to her.

As the doors opened and she picked up her box, Icarus stepped out after her, plucking the box from her arms and hitching it up over his shoulder, "We don't have much money, so I'll carry your box for you and help you cook," he stated. He wasn't going to let her refuse, Icarus made sure of that in the way he stared at ehr and let the doors close behind him. "More than one ingredient would be healthier. I will be able to repay you once we figure out what we're doing for employment," he added, waiting for her to move.

"Trace Noir is my user, and I'm Icarus," he informed, "We live in 2117, and have been here for about three months. Things are a bit tight right now, but they'll look up, I'm sure." He gave her a rare and weary smirk. Icarus himself was feeling tired, which probably meant he should recharge soon. However, as soon as he realised what he was, doing, Icarus  wiped away his smirk and turned his gaze away to the building's plain brushed-steel panels that linned the walls. He turned slightly red again, "Potato-beef, with onions; I'll help with cooking and do the cleaning."

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2012, 16:15 

Lvl 1
Amazed by the fact that the RAIN had taken the box and continued to walk with her she smirked. She was not expecting him to help out. In fact, she was going to just make the soup and take some up when she finished her own meal. Maybe this way she could meet someone else here. There were turning out to me all different kinds of people on this island.

Having Icarus take the box from her hands and throw it over his shoulders, like it was nothing, embarrassed her a bit, but she was grateful to have the assistance and the company. "It is a pleasure to meet you Icarus, I'm Kennedy." she paused, "Thank you for the help. That box was kind of heavy for me. Also, do not worry about repaying me. I am willing to help out anyone I can. I feel like I have had an easier time adjusting than most people."

Then again, Kennedy had been willing to do anything to help people to earn money here and there. She had even been willing to cook for them, which had happened a couple of times on different occasions. But money was no concern to her if someone was sick. The southern girl felt it to be her responsibility to help him out as several had helped her when she was younger.

"Here we are, 1515," she said, stopping in front of the door. Kennedy had not noticed Icarus turning red or even the smirk that had appeared on his face. She was just happy to have some help. "It might still be clean..." she muttered to herself wearily. Without realizing it she had left Edmund alone in the apartment. He acted old enough to take care of himself, but without a younger sibling she had no idea of what to expect.

With her eyebrows raised and her mind prepared for the worst she turned the key and pushed open the door. At first glance it looked like a disaster zone, but after scanning the room she noticed nothing had changed. "Edmund," she called, "are you here?"

Without a word the boy appeared out of the x-cell on her hand and spun around. "Yep! I'm right here! Actually, I have been with you the entire time- I didn't want to stay by myself. This place is scary!" He gushed everything out so quick it was hard for Kennedy to keep up and before she knew it the boy grabbed his "sister's" arm and dragged her to the kitchen. "I heard that you were cooking! Can I help?!"

Edmund bounced a few times out of excitement and Kennedy laughed. "I would love your help another time, but for now why don't you go find something to do. I'm making food for Icarus' user, who is sick."

The young RAIN's shoulders fell in disappointment, but he went over and sat himself on a bar stool to occupy himself. Within moments the boy was deep in his drawings, his pen quickly filling the blank pages with ink.

"Now that that was settled. What should we start with first?" she asked, "I guess we should begin cutting up the ingredients and get some water boiling. I hope we have some left over salt from our last meal..." She grabbed a pot from the cupboard and some utensils (including some prep knives). After a couple minutes of opening and closing many of the cabinets she grew impatient. Eying Edmund for a second she decided to give her RAIN a chance and maybe he would remember where she placed it. "Edmund, do you know where the salt is?"

The boy perked up and rain to the pantry, pulled it out and slammed it on the counter. "There you go! I found it!"

Kennedy gasped and hurried to turn over the bag of salt that Edmund had put on the counter upside down, "Edmund! Why would you do that?!"

The boy withdrew from the kitchen and meekly apologized before returning to his drawings. "I'm sorry... um." she paused, her mind running blank, "What next? I know how to cook the dish, but I was wondering if you knew of any particular way he liked it." She must look like a scatterbrained nut-job with all the running around she had been doing in her own kitchen.

Image Image

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 05:40 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus allowed Kennedy to lead him. he wasn't particularly fond of being with her, but if it would help Kazuya, he would put up with her and whatever RAIN she had for now. he was mildly surprised when the other prissy showed itself. Mostly because he had been there the whole time and hadn't bothered coming out when his user was in trouble. Icarus thought that kind of odd, but then again, many other RAIN found him intimidating. "You know, your RAIN won't leave your side unless you ask it to," he pointed out casually, setting the box down on the nearest surface he could find. he glanced warily at the child-like RAIN before extracting things from the box and placing them on the counter.

After a few minutes of rummaging, Kennedy had had to ask her RAIN, evidently named Edmund, to find some salt. To this, the little RAIN acted much like a child, dashing past Icarus who had to nearly jump out of the way, in order to make a mess. Once the small one had retreated again, Icarus blinked, "Is he defective too or something?" he asked. It was genuine curiosity. He had never met another defective RAIN, and didn't think that SparkFire would give one out to anyone else. Icarus knew that he was a special loan, and could be taken back by SparkFire at anytime, but that didn't mean that there weren't others like him.

"What next? I know how to cook the dish, but I was wondering if you knew of any particular way he liked it."

"Oh, um," Icarus looked at the ingredients, "Trace eats a lot of traditional Japanese food, so in this case, there's nothing in my database about his preferences. I think we should pre-cook the beef and boil the potatoes, mince and fry a small onion and then put it all in a slow-cooker, that should make a nice stew. If you have a bay leaf and some orgeano, that should help to add to the flavour a bit with some salt." Icarus wasn't sure why he knew so much about cooking, but he'd read a lot of stuff out of sheer boredom while he was under SparkFire's care.

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 08:33 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus turned red again at Kennedy's question, "No," he replied, turning to the potatoes, beginning the washing process, "They generally don't have that kind of issue. I'm sure early models did, but they were all erased. We are just machines after all. It's not a problem to re-write one of us." Though he had said it offhandedly, it still came out with an irritable yet sad feeling. It was true, afterall. Other RAIN didn't even think twice about such a thing, being programmed not to, and additionally not having that self-aware nature. They were perfect machines that simulated human behaviour in all ways except for two, self-awareness, and self-actualisation; they couldn't concieve of self-death, nor could they exist without the x-cell--they weren't even allowed to exist without a human partner or some purpose defined for them by SparkFire. It was all an illusion of humanness and free will.

Icarus blinked and looked down at Edmund. He had spaced out thinking agian. "We're making a potato and beef soup for my user since he's sick," Icarus stated, grabbing out the pot that Kennedy asked for. "Why do you act like a child?" he asked in return. "Wouldn't you be more useful to her if you acted more like an adult, or at least a teen?" Icarus filled the pot with water, promptly dumping the peeled and cut pototoes in with it. He set that on the back element of the stove and went to dice the onion. "It'll be better if we sautee these. Trace doesn't take onion well, but it's good for him."

Image Image Image

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 14:04 

Lvl 1
Kennedy had never heard of a defective RAIN before. It never occured to her that this company would give them a piece of technology with a glitch in it or something. Edmund was never particularly as "normal" as the other RAIN she had met. He was very resourceful and creative but that appeared to be the boy's limits. "I-I don't think so." she paused, "He might just be acting like a child. I know he is far more creative than any child I have met at his age but who knows. He's a good kid though. Why do you ask? Does SparkFire give out defective RAINs?"

She was genuienly interested in what Icarus had to say. If he was, and she guess he was since he asked the question, he did not act too differently from a normal RAIN. All of them were about as close to people as you could get. The only difference is that every RAIN Kennedy had met showed some sort of talent. At least, that was the pattern so far. Maybe she would come across a boring one someday. She smirked, feeling sorry for the individual who had to but up with that particular RAIN.

So, his user was Japanese. Kennedy had only ever tasted American Chinese food. She was never a big fan of adventuring out to the authentic hole-in-the-wall restaurants in downtown. She pushed the cutting board towards Icarus, "Would you mind getting started on chopping up the vegetables? I will begin working on the meat?"

Kennedy turned her back to the other to grab a few of the things she suggested out of her sparse pantry, "I do not have oregano but I do have some sage. It's pretty much the same flavor if I remember correctly. At least, that is what I remember my Aunt telling me." she paused, "I hope I don't have it backwards."

Throwing a couple of herbs and spices on the meet she put them into a skillet with a pinch of oil and turned the heat on. She used a wooden spoon to move the meat around and flip it over. The smell quickly filled the kitchen and within moments she was beginning to become hungry herself. "I have a pot under the counter by the sink on the left side. Could you grab it for me?" she continued to stay focused on the cooking meat. She would not be able to let it get too cooked or else it would burn and dry out in the slow cooker.

"Mmm! That smells good! What is it mister?" asked Edmund.

Image Image

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2012, 15:38 

Author
Founder
Lvl 6
Icarus turned red again at Kennedy's question, "No," he replied, turning to the potatoes, beginning the washing process, "They generally don't have that kind of issue. I'm sure early models did, but they were all erased. We are just machines after all. It's not a problem to re-write one of us." Though he had said it offhandedly, it still came out with an irritable yet sad feeling. It was true, afterall. Other RAIN didn't even think twice about such a thing, being programmed not to, and additionally not having that self-aware nature. They were perfect machines that simulated human behaviour in all ways except for two, self-awareness, and self-actualisation; they couldn't concieve of self-death, nor could they exist without the x-cell--they weren't even allowed to exist without a human partner or some purpose defined for them by SparkFire. It was all an illusion of humanness and free will.

Icarus blinked and looked down at Edmund. He had spaced out thinking agian. "We're making a potato and beef soup for my user since he's sick," Icarus stated, grabbing out the pot that Kennedy asked for. "Why do you act like a child?" he asked in return. "Wouldn't you be more useful to her if you acted more like an adult, or at least a teen?" Icarus filled the pot with water, promptly dumping the peeled and cut pototoes in with it. He set that on the back element of the stove and went to dice the onion. "It'll be better if we sautee these. Trace doesn't take onion well, but it's good for him."

Image Image Image

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next